Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Flying into Washington to Raise Some Hell

I'm just playing. It was Tuesday night October 28th. My buddy Tom and I flew to Seattle, Washington from San Diego to enjoy a brief vacation break from all the madness. Originally, it just gonna be Tom going to see family and his ex-girlfriend. However, with the communication not being very strong with reaching family and getting approval from his girl for having a place to stay, he called on me for help. He told me about the cheap flights he found (round-trip) $219.00. Rental already paid, so I used my own money and booked that flight just 3 days away.

We met an old friend mine at the parking structure where we picked up the car. She was the mother of my first childhood buddy. She hooked up with the camping gear. The only thing she missed was the pot, but we got the goods. We received sleeping bags, tarp, tent, mats, and a stove. We lied about saying we would stay out the nearest hotels in Seattle. Instead we took off like a bat of hell down the 5 freeway and hopped on the Highway 101 going as far west of Washington state as we could. We first exited at Enchanted Prkwy and pulled into a Del Taco drive-thru. The woman who took our order was white with blonde hair and a thick accent. Come to think of it, it was a Russian dialect. Kind of chumby looked like she had the face of my former cross-country teammate in high school and Kornikova. haha. Oh those, Russians. That was cool. I guess they are most prevalent among ethinicities who run the fast food restaurants.

By exiting Enchanted Prkwy, we noticed there was a WalMart adjacent to the Del Taco. We, actually, I went into the supermarket and took down Tom's list buying most of the things we needed for camping. I bought the pot, crackers, soup cans, top ramen packs, 9 water jugs, 2 gatorate jugs, 4 propane containers (2x2 that's how they were sold), a wind-resisted flame starter, bread, and peanut butter. The total amount $80. 81. I stiffed him a little. I didn't buy cookies or a 10th water jug or firewood. He didn't mind. I was so pale. I was walking like an old man, constant back a forth searching for all the products we needed at like 12 a.m. It must have taken me an hour and an half to find everything and get through the cash register.

Off we went continuing west on the 101. Nobody was out on the road except for those big trucks. It became frustrating for Tom because at certain times when was making a pass he couldn't see the exit signs. We passed a motel and realized there we weren't gonna see anymore for awhile. It kept being the same features trees and creeks and wide-open country. So, we turned back into this town called Montesano where we saw a motel. We got in about 2:30 a.m. and I told the gas station clerk a single room and $66 is all I paid. We were about 5 miles outside of Aberdeen and this would be for one night before we embarked in the morning for to one of the campground sites in the Olympic National Park.

No comments: